Saturday, March 10, 2012

The India Gate

March 8, 2012

The India Gate is a commemorative Monument built to honor the Indian soldiers who have fallen during the World War I and Afghan Wars. This is a very famous landmark in the heart of New Delhi. It's actually down the road from the Palace and Defense Buildings.

I told you it's foggy! We came here from the President's
Palace. The Parliament is on the left side of this road.

It's a famous spot for locals and tourists alike

Of course, photo op! (Taken by Amanda)



Can you see the colors in their faces?!

I think that statue/structure on the right means something.
It must be the Amar Jawan Jyoti (flame of the immortal soldier).
[Thanks, Wiki!]
 I think the letters I saw were some names carved on the stones. It's also called/referred to as tomb of the unknown soldier so these names, I presume, are just a representation of the 90000 (according to Wikipedia) soldiers who died in those wars. 

I love this angle of the gate. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Namaste! I'd appreciate your comments so don't hesitate to drop me a line. Salamat po!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...