Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Sinigang na Hipon - a proper dinner!

After four and a half months of being here in India, I finally succeeded to find all the ingredients needed to cook a proper Sinigang na Hipon (Sour Shrimp Soup) for dinner!


Since it's been raining like crazy here in Kharghar almost everyday, I was just craving for a sinigang dish. Pork is most likely not available so the next option is fish. Though it was raining, I went out to the market after work and headed to the "machi" area. Last time I was there was almost two months back and the only shrimp available was the small ones (as in okoy mode). So, tonight, to my surprise, there's shrimp! Kind of semi-prawn actually. It cost me Rs 50 for 125gms. Not bad!



Since there's already the main ingredient, the next task is to find the veggies to go with it. Last time, I used a green leafy vegetable similar but not quite like pechay. So again, to my surprise, I recognized a green leafy thing that resembles kangkong! I can't believe my eyes so I had to check and re-check! And yes, though it looked not as leafy as the ones we have back home, it is indeed kangkong! I didn't really know how much it cost but with the bundle of small white radish, I had to pay Rs 15.

And of course, at home, since I didn't have tamarind (it's not common here) and I wanted to make life easier, I opened my suitcase to get my stash of Knorr 2-in-1 Sinigang mix! And from then on, the rest is history!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Namaste! I'd appreciate your comments so don't hesitate to drop me a line. Salamat po!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...