Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Sabz Burj: a monument almost forgotten

March 17, 2012

On the way to Humayun's tomb, we saw another monument serving as the centerpiece for a very busy roundabout.

Sabz Burj at the busy Mathura Road
I can't remember exactly but I think I did not see any marker for the monument so I did not pay so much attention to it. I was pretty sure though that there was a guard on duty.

Will this monument soon become just another roundabout?!
Sabz Burj can't be missed, especially when coming via Lodhi Road.

NOTE: cross with caution! If you have the time, feed the pigeons too (believed to be a blessing)!



Sabz Burj also serves as a prelude to the many monuments to be found inside the Humayun's Tomb Complex. It is believed that Sabz Burj pre-dates Humayun's Tomb.

Zoom in to see dome details
Sabz Burj actually means Green Dome. But, the current dome is definitely blue. Reason: it was due to the restoration efforts. The lower portion (like base) of the dome still has the yellow and green tiles.

NOTE: I think Sabz Burj is often times mistaken for Nila Gumbad (blue tomb) inside the Humayun's Tomb Complex. I thought so as well at first but closer look at long shot images will show that Sabz Burj does not have the spire present in Nila Gumbad.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Namaste! I'd appreciate your comments so don't hesitate to drop me a line. Salamat po!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...