Monday, October 15, 2012

The Taj Mahal - Finally!

9 September 2012

Before coming to India, I only know a few things about this sub-continent and what stands out among these is the Taj Mahal. I barely know the story about Taj Mahal before I came here, only that it is a must-see monument, one of the seven wonders of the world.

Oh hello there!

That said, I know it will be a disservice, a betrayal to India, and a look of disappointment from people back home if I did not see the Taj Mahal. So, when after six months of being in India I finally had the opportunity, I went!

Must-see while in India: Taj Mahal, check!
 I believe that going to the Taj Mahal will be the peak of my traveling days here in India, at least to the eyes of many back home whose knowledge of India and it's culture will mainly be of the Taj Mahal too. Don't get me wrong. I am not saying that India is not popular or that the people I know have limited knowledge of the world. It's just that, when you say India, the first thing that comes to mind is not castes, not discrimination, not poverty, not 1.2 billion people, and not BRICS. It is Taj Mahal.

In fairness, it really is a sight to behold
Anyway, before we stray away from the Taj Mahal and do further disservice to this edifice of love (which claimed the arms, if not lives, of the thousands of workers who laboured for its completion--just saying!), here are some snaps! The video playlist will be in the next post for a closer and more, uhm, "I can almost feel that I am there too" kind of experience. Enjoy!

View from the Agra Fort
Before queuing to get inside

Lighthouse effect!
Yamuna River


Such a long queue for low-value ticket (Rs 20) holders...like me!
I managed to get in at Rs 20 instead of Rs 750 as my half-decent
Hindi passed with the tour guide. In fairness to me, I have the
right for the ticket as I am officially a resident, with proof!

I'm soooo small (resting while the boys from the bus are in line)
elaborately designed paintings and carvings
(close-up of above photo)

Inside the Taj Mahal: The Tombs of Mughal Emperor
Shah Jahan and his third wife Mumtaz Mahal
(this is actually what the queue was for)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Namaste! I'd appreciate your comments so don't hesitate to drop me a line. Salamat po!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...